Samosas: An East African Delight!
Fun Fact: At the White House, the Obamas menu included Chicken Samosas alongside yogurt dip when they hosted a dinner for India the Envoy and other Ambassadors. Samosas are a very common fast food snack in East Africa, especially Kenya.
1 piece ginger root
3 cloves of garlic
1 pounds ground lamb/beef OR chopped up vegetables (Carrots & peas)
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon masala
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 pound frozen egg-roll dough, thawed
Servings (up to 50)
1.Chop ginger and garlic until fine or use a blender until well mashed.
2. Add the meat OR vegetables, onions, masala, curry powder and turmeric.
3. Sauté in a frying pan on low heat for about 30 minutes. If you opt for the meat, stir occasionally to break up meat chunks; for the vegetables sauté until well done.
4. Cut sheets of thawed egg-roll dough into 4 by 4 inch quarters to create nice triangles.
5. Add the meat OR vegetable mixture in the middle of the cut dough just enough to end up with a nice, neat triangle.
6. Deep-fat fry the filled samosas, until golden brown.
7. Serve preferably hot with dipping sauce of choice.